Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Wednesday 3rd February

I wasn't able to get into the park first thing today, but once at Uni I was informed that my afternoon lecture was cancelled. This meant that come lunchtime I will be heading straight for Mote Park for an unexpected visit!

I arrived into the park at about 2pm and an extremely fine drizzle was in the air. I headed straight to the old pond to see if the Jack Snipe was there but found it 'snipe-less'. I spent about half-an-hour watching the pond before heading off down to the old boating ramps on the northern edge of the Lake. Birds of particular note on the Lake were 24 Pochard, 6 Tuftie, 1 Great Crested Grebe, and 2 Mute Swan. The gull flock consisted of at least 41 Black-headed Gulls and 16 Common Gulls.

From here I returned to the pond for another 15mins before heading along the River Len and around Mote House. Birds noted along this route included 1 fly-over Siskin, 3 Nuthatch, 1 Treecreeper, 2 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 4 Goldcrest, 1 Coal Tit, 1 Fieldfare, and 3 Redwing.


Water Rail

I returned to the pond area once again, this time joining 2 gentlemen who it was a pleasure to meet and to chat to. Whilst getting a bit soggy, the 3 of us had super views of Water Rail and Grey Wagtail but unfortunately 'Jack' never made an appearance. I decided to stick the rain out until dusk hoping that the snipe may pop its stripy head out of the reeds during this twilight period, but it wasn't to be. There are many springs and small ditches running through the wet wood behind the old pond so there is a good chance the Jack Snipe may still be present. I hope to visit the park tomorrow and/or Friday so as always I'll keep you posted with my latest sightings.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Keep looking Simon - when you've had such a goody as Jack Snipe on patch then you've got to keep looking! Glad I made the rip yesterday though!

Ad

Greenie said...

Simon ,
Not a bad substitute for Jack , even if it does think it's an Ostrich .

Next Event - TBA