Thursday, August 19, 2010

Thursday 19th August

This afternoon I joined an informal meeting with Maidstone Borough Council to discuss some of their plans for the park. Whilst on the top playing field, standing alongside 1 of the large Oaks on the southern edge, a PURPLE HAIRSTREAK decided to flutter down alongside us whilst we were in the middle of conversation. I couldn't help myself but butt-in and point him out as he fluttered unbelievably close and then settled on a leaf a few feet above our heads. I just couldn't believe it!!! I then gave those present a short talk all about this delightful little butterfly, which is a first for me in the park and for the park records as well!!!! As we stood there a further 5 butterflies were seen together.

3 comments:

Warren Baker said...

well done Simon. Just proves you wern't listening to a word the bloke said - too busy watching out for P H's :-)

Greenie said...

Simon ,
As you well know , probably the most overlooked butterfly species .
Well spotted .

Ken. said...

Hi Simon.
Well done with finding the
Purple Hairstreak Butterfly.

Next Event - TBA