Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday 12th October

I recieved a report yesterday evening that a Mandarin had been seen on the eastern section of the Lake that morning. Mandarins used to breed in the park but stopped in the mid-90s, and since then have been rare visitors which I have always missed. I remember as a child being shown them by my Grandad.

With Uni work taking up most of my time at the moment I managed to fit in a quick visit at first light this morning, walking Jenner's Bank, the River Len and the Lake's eastern edge. The Sun gave a beautiful warm glow over a crisp and lightly frosted Park.


Highlights included 4 Redwing - the first of the winter - and 4 Skylark flying over, several Goldcrest, 3 Nuthatch, a Treecreeper was singing by the old Carriage Bridge, 3 Green and Great Spotted Woodpecker were seen, 3 Grey Herons were the Lake's golf course edge, and a Kingfisher was spotted by the Weir.

On the Lake was 1 Pochard, at least 7 Great Crested Grebes, 4 Mute Swan, 2 Little Grebes, 1 drake Shoveler, and as I walked by the 3 old Horse Chestnuts on the Lake's eastern edge, a dake MANDARIN swam out onto the Lake and headed across to the golf course side - fantastic!! The gull flock consisted of 30+ Black-headed Gulls and at least 9 Common Gulls.

Drake Mandarin

Also noted was an incredible amount of fungi growing from a pile of wood chipping and soil.

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

well done Simon,
I'm still waiting for a Mandarin this year, they used to be quite regular on my lake

Ken. said...

Hi Simon.
Well done of seeing the Redwing's.Stil waiting to see on over this way. nice shot of the male Mandarin.

Next Event - TBA