Saturday, November 22, 2008

Saturday 22nd November

This morning it was even chillier and windier than yesterday, so an extra jacket was put on! The sky was almost cloudless allowing the Sun‘s rays to offer a little warmth.

A flock of at least 38 Siskin and 15 Goldfinch were seen feeding from the Alder cones in Alders next to the footbridge, 2 Nuthatch were seen, 7 Goldcrests were noted, a Little Owl was sat, looking like a ball made of feathers, in its hole, 2 Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers were seen, 3 cock Pheasants was seen, 2 Jay foraged for acorns beneath an Oak, a Treecreeper called from the Alder Carr, and a female Bullfinch was seen in a bramble bush.


Goldcrest

Birds of particular note on the Lake were 6 Great Crested Grebes, 2 Mute Swan, a group of 8 Canada Geese and 2 Cormorants. The gull flock on the Lake was the largest I have seen for a long time. There were at least 113 Black-headed Gulls, 48 Common Gulls, 2 Mediterranean Gulls, a first-winter Herring Gull, and an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull. Along the River Len were 2 Grey Herons, 1 female Kingfisher, and 2 Little Grebes.


Robin

2 comments:

Adam said...

Great Goldcrest photo Simon - they just don't keep still long enough for me!

Adam

Steve said...

Hi Simon, I've just started my own blog, another bird one, and I was interested in what you saw in the park. I'm there a fair amount, we've probably passed each other and not known. I haven't seen the Siskins or the Little Owl, I'll have to watch out for them. Nice Robin photo by the way.

Steve

Next Event - TBA