Saturday, April 26, 2008

Saturday 26th April

It was a gorgeous warm and sunny morning today, with a pleasant light southerly wind.

5 Nuthatch were heard singing, 4 Pheasant called, 13 Blackcaps, 9 Chiff Chaffs, and 20 Whitethroat were heard singing, 3 Stock Dove were heard, my first Cuckoo of the year flew across my path as I walked through the large area of rough grassland, 2 Green Woodpeckers were heard, a Grey Heron was seen flying south, 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers were heard, a Coal Tit sang from a Larch on the Park’s eastern boundary, a Goldcrest sang from an Alder by the Model Boat platform, 2 Treecreeper were seen in the Alder Carr, a Linnet called as it flew over west, a Cormorant flew south, and a Little Owl was seen perched on a bough of an Oak.

Magpie


Birds seen on the Lake were 4 Canada Geese, 2 Mute Swans, 4 Tuftie, 2 Great Crested Grebes, and the countless Mallards, Coots and Moorhens. There were roughly 14 Black-headed Gulls on the Lake, and 8 Reed Warblers were heard singing around the perimeter of the Lake.

Also of note was a Comma seen on a Cherry on the Golf Course, my first Speckled Wood of the year was seen on a Hawthorn, and the Wild Garlic are blooming on the edge of the River Len.


Speckled Wood

2 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Cuckoo at last then simon, well done. nice speckled wood shot.

Steve said...

Snap, got my first Speckled Wood today too. I went back later in the day and also saw my first Grizzled skipper of the year - so I have updated my blog with a ropey photo!
Nice pic of SW btw

Next Event - TBA